Trying out new things.

Lots of things have been keeping me very busy this week. Writing for HandMadeNews.org is proving to be even more fun than I had anticipated. I just love putting together these little articles and I love seeing them be published through this fabulous site. At this point, I have two articles published under the Just for Fun dept. and I just submitted two more to my editor this morning.

My creative focus seems to be a bit choppy though and I haven't been able to bring any projects to a finish the past little while. I've started several pieces, including a cherry tree banzai tree and a bouquet of red chrysanthemums.

Here's an in progress picture of the chrysanthemum bouquet.



The flowers are a very basic shape. My focus was more on the colour. There are 2 colors of red beads in this arrangement, strung on 2 different colour of wire. The overall effect gives 4 different hues of red. There will be a total of 16 blooms in this bouquet. Hopefully, the colour variation will come out nicely. I'm thinking of adding a few white wild flowers to the mix, but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

I spent the last little bit this afternoon trying my hand at something I hadn't done before. Wire wrapped jewelery. Here's what I came up with:




One of my favorite beaded flower supply is actually the wire. I bought several spools of 26 gauge copper wire a while back and I just love the way it feels and looks. It's very soft and warm and has a beautiful sheen.



I combined the wire with natural rose quartz that I had left over from another project.





So what do you think? Should I expand my creative outlet and make more jewelery of this type? The jewelery market is already loaded with very talented artisans, but it's just so much fun to make. Give me some feedback. I'd love to hear what you have to say!

Comments

2 Responses to "Trying out new things."

Melissa said... June 20, 2009 at 11:05 PM

Love it! Is there such thing as like a slate or dark gray wire? It's stylish and lovely ;)

Sophie said... June 20, 2009 at 11:27 PM

There are coated wires that come in many colors. Some coatings seems to wear off though if put through too much abuse. There's lots of different gauge sterling silver wire though. That might have to be in my next purchase order...

Post a Comment